Watching the New England Patriots make there way to yet another Super Bowl this weekend got us thinking at Team Amino about the keys to success in sports, business and life. Why are some teams, players and people so good at what they do and achieve? Is it magic? Guess work? Luck?
We are aware that success is the driver for most of what we do. The famous football coach Vince Lombardi, put it best..
“the price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.”
That is why this week we wanted to deconstruct how to win in any field, but especially in health and performance. Read on to find out how..
The key to getting closer to your goals is really about how you view and structure your training program design.
At Team Amino we like to use the 'reverse engineering process'. According to wiki “Reverse engineering, also called back engineering, is the process by which a man-made object is deconstructed to reveal its designs, architecture, or to extract knowledge from the object; similar to scientific research, the only difference being that scientific research is about a natural phenomenon. Reverse engineering is applicable in the fields of mechanical engineering, electronic engineering, software engineering, chemical engineering and systems biology.'
To put this in a simpler format, to increase your chance of hitting your targets, start at the end and work backwards towards where you sit currently today. This achieves a couple of things..
1. It helps you break big goals down into smaller chunks. This makes these your big goal easier to manage and handle over time, as lots of small wins add up to larger wins.
2. It keeps you true. We all set out with the best of intentions, but over time life gets in the way. By having a tangible plan with markers along the way it means you can keep your focus on what matters in order to get results.
We have used this to produce our gym and training formula Amino Water, the most advance essential amino acid and B vitamin product on the market.
We knew what our customers and users wanted, that was our end point and worked backward to create the best formula with them in mind. If you are ready to take your recovery to the next level trial the 14 day pack here.
1. Use ‘reverse engineering’ to get the results you want. It is a simple but effective method that people just do not use enough. Look into the future and put a marker in the ground, this is what you will aim at. The bigger the better we think. Also, tell people close too you, as this will hold you accountable when the going gets tough.
2. Once you know what you want, you need a time scale as this is where a lot of people come unstuck. Most people we have worked with underestimate how long goals can take. If you are looking to get leaner then use a minimum of 13 weeks, if you are looking to grow then you need a minimum of 6 months. All sports performers should be thinking in 12 month cycles.
3. Now that you have a time frame, you need to pick your KPIs (key performance indicators). This is how you are going to measure your performance. if you are looking to build muscle then lean muscle mass indices are a great place to start. Body fat % is a great metric for fat loss. Sport performers need to figure out what your key metrics are going to be, from w/kg in running and cycling to belt colour in BJJ.
4. Lastly map a time line from your end goal to where you are now and break that large task down into smaller chunks, with way points along your journey. Set these milestone as a smaller but more manageable targets. Put this map up somewhere you will check in with regularly (on your desk, next to your bed). This then keeps you true and you can keep a check on your progress. If it goes to plan then awesome, if it does not then re-hatch a new plan and go again, taking on board your new learning. A resilient person will also come out trumps over a talented person with a poor system.
If you want help building this, drop us an email here
Get to work team!